Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Lilacs and Pandora

Two things have always been able to calm me: the smell of flowers and music.

I remember the first day of high school, palms sweating, heart pounding, and adrenaline pumping. I was nervous, and I think my brother Danny could tell. He was a senior to my lowly sophomore and the chauffeur for the year. I don't remember too much, but I do remember the sound of Linkin Park's Meteoria pumping through the speakers of our car. Somehow, it suited the blood churning in my body and amazingly, I was comforted.

A year and some-odd months later I was about to take my first test on the driving range. Once again my brother drove and hard core Sum 41 pounded through the entire car and into my body. Somehow, at that moment, 2 wrongs (adrenaline from being petrified and adrenaline from the music) made a right, and my heart was stilled.

As I sit here the perfume of the lilacs float through my open window. It reminds me of the countless times I "ran away" and ended up in a garden or field, letting the smells mix through the air and calm my fragile heart. Tonight is no different.

Tomorrow is a big interview. The job isn't anything fantastic, but the benefits will be an answer to my prayers. It comes with great pay, great hours, and tuition reimbursement. I've always been stressed about school and money and this would be the best opportunity to finally put an end to all of it.

So thanks to an open window and Pandora, I think I can rest easy tonight.

Wish me luck.


3 comments:

  1. I love love love love Lilacs they are my favorite! Good luck on your interview you'll do great, I'll pray for you tonight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Liz - you are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this with Comcast? You mean they actually got back with you? I hope it goes well! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete