Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Clara Belle

Used bike: 100$, Bike lock: 30$, Wicked cool name for the bike: priceless.

(However all of this was bought on a Visa card so it's not as witty as I thought!)

So, today I drove by a thrift store and outside was this extremely cute bike! It kept calling to me "Lizzy, buy me!" I stopped by the store and asked how much it was and he said it was 100$. Well, recently I've been looking at bikes on ebay and everything was at least 150$ and then 40$ for shipping. So when this was already the perfect bike and I didn't have to pay for shipping it became sold.

I drove it home and tried to install the lock bracket thing (that holds the lock on the bike), but it wasn't working and then after an hour I gave up and just decided that I didn't need the bracket thing. So I decided to take her out for a spin. I thought this was such an amazing bike! It's so cute and so I christened her then and there: this is Clara Belle.

As I was riding her around the block I realized 3 important things...1) I am incredibly out of shape, 2) Clara Belle is one of those old bikes that have the brakes on the pedals (which is one of the reasons I fell in love with her, she reminded me of my childhood bikes) so I'm going down hill I'm trying out the brakes and...they're not really working. And the third very important thing I realized is that...Clara Belle doesn't turn! It has one of those really wide turning radius! So I'm turning and I'm braking and I'm huffing and puffing and I thought to myself "I just spent 100$ on a big mistake!"

I thought that I could ride my cute bike to school when I got to the U. I also thought that If I go to close places I could save Betsy (my car) from some unnecessary wear and tear. But now I have a bike that doesn't brake, doesn't turn, and can't really go uphill.

Life Lesson Learned: Never buy anything because it's pretty.

Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment