Friday, June 29, 2012

Tri, Tri, Tri again.

I am officially off of all, yes ALL of my medications. I finally feel normal again!  I decided the best way to come off all of these chemicals (without too many withdrawals or side effects) is to counteract  them with some chemicals all on my own....ENDORPHINS!

I, Liz Erickson, will be participating in the August 18th "Triathamom". It's a sprint Triathlon consisting of three events; swim 400 meters, bike 12 miles, and run 5 kilometers. It's been about five weeks since I started my training and I feel amazing. Sometimes when I'm biking or running I keep thinking "what in the world am I getting myself into?" But, overall I'm happy I'm doing it. It's bringing me a huge sense of accomplishment that I've never thought I could have. It also helps me to think "you know, if I could do this...what else am I capable of doing?' the answer: just about anything!

Another good benefit of this training is my meal planning. Sometimes I'm so hungry, I can down an entire hamburger, and guilt is nowhere to be found. Half the time I've already burned off a good chunk of calories for the day so anything I eat after that doesn't really add up to anything. But (mostly) I just like to eat healthy now. Today I made this AMAZING quesadilla I threw together and it was so good! I also thought it was so pretty that I had to take a picture.

Here's the recipe:

2 white or wheat tortillas (I prefer wheat, but the picture shows white)
1 roma tomato diced
1 avocado diced
1/4 cup of black beans
1/2 cup of cheese
1/2 cup spinach
1 lime
salt to taste

Start browning one of the tortillas in a round pan. (Do this BEFORE chopping all of your veggies so it's perfectly brown by the time your ready to flip it. This will keep the spinach nice and crunchy). In a bowl mix tomatoes, avocado, black beans, lime, and salt. Spread the mixture on the tortilla in the pan. Add cheese. Once the cheese is almost melted, add the spinach. Cover with 2nd tortilla and flip. Brown the 2nd tortilla and you're done!

With the wonderful flavors a glass of raspberry limeade really added a nice summer touch.

For one quart:

1/2 cup lime juice (I used 1/4 cup of limeade juice and then 4 limes squeezed)
3 1/4 Cup cold water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 mashed raspberries

Mix all ingredients until sugar is dissolved. Add ice. (You can add a sprig of mint if you're getting really fancy!)



Mmmmm. Don't these look amazing? Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That quesadilla sounds wonderful! Well, minus the avocado. I'm not a big fan of avocado. I have all the ingredients, I may have to make that for lunch this week!

    ReplyDelete