Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dating

As I'm trying to open my store I'm focused on the planning, the designing, the research, and my sanity; but I also have to search for my soul mate as well? It seems that every friend I ever went to high school with is now on their way to the alter. So, after the last facebook invite to another friends wedding I felt desperate, and decided that since I don't usually meet straight men in my profession, it's time to try online dating.

Being a skeptic, I decided to go for a free dating site. My first night on, Joe* started chatting with me for about two hours. We continued to chat for two weeks. It was time to meet him. We went to Kiva Juice (which he insisted was better than Jamba Juice...um it's not) and sat outside for two hours talking. There were no awkward silences, no weirdness between us, no worries! This was starting out to be the best first date I ever went on! We took a drive through a canyon and that's when it went from the best first date to every other date I've been on. As we were winding through the dark canyon he dropped the ball...he's turned off by women more successful than him.

Now if this was the first time I heard this from a man, I probably wouldn't have been so upset. However, this wasn't the first time, nor the second. This was the third time I've been unwanted by a man because I am more successful than him! What a load of crap that is!!! So after countless hours bitching about my predicament to my girlfriends I decided that I'm much too special and much too wonderful to get upset. If these men don't want me...WHO CARES! If they don't realize what a good thing they could have going, it really is their loss.

Well, dear readers, I've learned a lot from this experience. I'm in such a great place in my life and if a man doesn't want to share that with me, then it's for the best. I've learned to be myself under every circumstance, to not apologize for who I am or who I'm going to become, and to realize that everything happens for a reason. Most of all, I learned to be okay with being single. One day I'll find Mr. Right, but I don't want to have to sift through the Right Now's to be happy. Happiness comes from within.

Be your own beautiful,

Liz

*Names have been changed to protect the...well...not so innocent.

2 comments:

  1. Stupid guy! Who is to be the judge of success? He must have had some in his life? Just because you are going to be a little more out there for people to see doesn't mean that he has to take back seat and let you be the only one to write the stories. Sounds to me like the man had a little bit of an insecurity issue.
    Lizzie, I wish you all the best. There is some man out there waiting to embrace life WITH you. He will come, most likely in the most unexpected time of your life, whisking you off to write your own happily ever after!
    You need to tell me all about your planning! I am so excited. I keep telling all my friends to watch out for my designer cousin! They keep asking for your card. Can't wait till I can actually give one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you thank you! :) I think things are going to happen quite quickly with the business. I'm trying to get it open for this November/December. We'll see how it actually turns out. I will make some official cards with the website on them and mail them to you when it's all set up and running so you can give them out!

    ReplyDelete